Pages

Friday, March 25, 2011

Black Heels to Tractor Wheels: Part 1 Questions

I'm so enjoying reading Black Heels to Tractor Wheels with Book Beginnings and Bookends.



From Rachel:  Has this book brought you back to the beginning of a romantic relationship in your life?

Yes.  I don't think you can read a "love story" without thinking about your life and looking at areas where you and the writer are similar or different.

 From Erin:  What surprised you about Ree? If this was your first time reading about her background, did anything surprise you about her "beginnings?"

I'm a reader of Ree's blog and had already read Part 1 on it, so nothing in this part was surprising.  As it had been some time since I read the beginning of her love story, I enjoyed reading it again.  I can't wait to finish the book!

From Nina:  While reading Part I of Black Heels, did you find yourself comparing your own love life/story to Ree's?

Yes!  Again, I think it's nearly impossible to read a love story without thinking about your own love/life story.


Would you have handled ex-boyfriend (J) the same way or differently than Ree did?

I'm not sure.  I'm not much on second chances, so like Ree, I seriously doubt I would have gone to pick J up from the airport.  But, on the other hand, I think I would have wanted J to know that things were definitely over before I began my cowboy romance (though it appears she dated others before Marlboro Man/J's arrival in her hometown came about).  Also like Ree, I tend to make up my mind and stick to it. 

Have you ever made a life-changing decision based on a guy in your life? And how did it work out for you?

Yes and no.  The one lesson I've learned is you can't change yourself for someone.  You have to be you no matter who you're with.  Because of this, I have made life-changing decisions that have been for my good.  If you can't have/share your hopes and dreams with one person (even if they don't ever come to fruition), you need to stand up for yourself and get out of it.  Better things are on the other side because in a true relationship, your boyfriend/fiance/husband should be just as devoted to you as you are to him.  You can't give 100% if the other person isn't willing to as well.

From Stephanie: How do you think Ree's family felt that she was just going to give up going to Chicago for a guy she had just met?
 
I'm sure they were alarmed, but at the same time, they were very involved with their own problems.  I also think that there comes a time when every parent realizes (or should realize) that even if the decisions their children make may not make sense to them or are opposite of what they would have them do, they have to let go and let them live their own lives.

From Rocky Mountain Wife: If you were Ree and started to question your life plan (leaving Cali, moving to Chicago, being independent for a while)...how would you feel when this sudden romance came into your life at the 'wrong' time?
I'm sure I'd wonder, "why now?"  At the same time, I firmly believe everything happens for a reason so I'd be curious as if it was something to get me "off track" so I wouldn't do what I had always thought I needed to do or if it was something that was meant to have me go a different direction as in Ree's case.


From Meghan:  How do you think the situation with Ree's parents affected her relationship with Marlboro Man? (Or do think it did not affect her?)I'm sure it made her cling to MM more and realize how important relationships are.  I think that we all have things happen that make us see how important our relationships (even non-romantic ones) are, but then we get back to life and don't necessarily always make the time that we need to to spend with our loved ones. 

Have you ever felt an instant connection with someone? How did it turn out?Yes.  So far, so good.  (wink)

What made you relate to Ree? In what ways could you not relate to her?

From Meredith: I love all the details of Ree's cooking for Marlboro Man in the early stages of their relationship. Have you ever made anything for the guy in your life that was just an utter disaster? Did he choke it down anyway?
One word: Yes.  I tend to like many things of the crunchy, crispy variety.  PC won't have anything to do with anything that slightly resembles anything crunchy or burnt.  I think he's eaten a few slightly crispy things of mine, but now that I know his aversion to these, I let him have his not-quite-done (in my opinion) foods while I let mine get crispy!

I can definitely relate to Ree's drive and desire to do something (i.e. her move to Chicago and finding her way there) and I can also relate to the calmness she felt when she visited MM at home.  I grew up in rural SC, and to this day, there's not a more peaceful place to me than being outside in the spring or summer, hearing fire flies, and rocking in a rocking chair or hammock.

No comments:

Post a Comment