Pages

Saturday, January 1, 2011

A New Year: New Goals for 2011

I warned you yesterday that I like, ok, love, goals.  By nature, I am a planner and goals are a natural part of that process.  Here's a look at what I'm aiming for in 2011 (in no particular order):
  • Read through the Bible.  Both PC and my grandparents gave me The Daily Bible: In Chronological Order 365 Daily Readings.  It's something I've wanted to do, but I always get sidetracked or forget where I am and I haven't ever followed a plan.  What's neat about this Bible is that it's chronological so I'll be reading the events as they happen.
  • To go along with the above, I want to spend more time studying God's Word and spending time with Him.  I've tried the get up thirty minutes early thing and it hasn't seemed to work for me as I'm not really a morning person, but I really feel like that's what I need to do.  I'm planning to start getting up earlier than I have to, making some coffee or hot chocolate in the Keruig my sister gave me for Christmas, and spending time with God before I start my day.  
  • Memorize three Bible verses a month.  I really want to have God's Word in my heart.  Sure, I know some verses and can stumble around general ideas and stories, but I want to make a conscience effort to hide God's Word in my heart.
  • Tithe.  This is an area in which I can definitely improve.  I used to always tithe, but the last year or so, I haven't.  I give money, but I don't always tithe.  I want to tithe each week in 2011.
  • I want to be more conscience of spending quality time with the ones I love.  A good friend of mine from college used to always say: "Be Present."  That's what I want to be for all those around me.
  • Save more.  I want to save each of my expense checks in my regular savings account, plus start investing some on my own in addition to what I do through work.
  • Pay off all debt.  My car will be paid for in a few months and I'd like to pay off my credit cards.  My mortgage doesn't count in this, but it would be great to sell my house considering no one lives there!  (That's too long of a story for the blog.)
  • Exercise regularly.  Generally speaking, I go to the gym a few times a week and do weight training and cardio, plus PC and I run a trail a few times a week when the weather is normal (not like the 20s and 30s we've been experiencing in sunny SC the last month or so).  In 2011, I want to make a concerted effort to exercise more regularly and not take weeks off at a time like I have the last few weeks.  The holidays are to blame of course!  Realistically, I'd like to go to the gym at least twice a week to weight train and do cardio and then run a few days a week in addition to my gym workouts.
  • Run a half marathon.  This has been a goal for years and I haven't done it.  There's something about devoting that much time to running that is hard for me.  It's one thing to run a few miles on the treadmill a few nights a week and do some 5K's and 10K's throughout the year, but the idea of actually running 13.1 miles and training for it is something I haven't ever done.  I have my eye on the Governor's Cup in Columbia in late 2011.
  • I'm repeating this from last year, but I want to continue relaxing and taking time for myself and doing things I enjoy.  There's something so freeing about taking care of you and those you love.
  • Ask for a raise.  I'm perfectly content with my salary, but as it goes, if you don't ask, you won't know.
  • Read.  I love to read, but I find it hard to find time to read as much as I'd like.  In 2010, I read quite a few books that were great including Fair Game, Spoken from the Heart, Eat Pray Love, Committed, The Beach House, and Staying True.  I have four books to get me started this year: first, I need to finish George W. Bush's biography, Decision Points, William and Kate A Royal Love Story (I started this Monday.  I don't think it's factual, in fact, I'd bet on it, but I've always loved reading about Princess Diana and the royal family, so I'm enjoying it.), Steve Martin's An Object of Beauty, and Steve Martin's biography, Born Standing Up: A Comic's Life.  
  • Learn to play the piano.  My mom is a phenomenal pianist and even has a degree in piano performance, so naturally, you'd think I would've been made to learn piano.  She tried to teach me, but there was something about the whole sitting still and practicing thing that didn't work so well for me.  I can read music and play some and even took a few semesters of piano in college, but it's something I know I can definitely do better if I take the time to focus.  This year, I'd like to learn a new song each month.
  • Blog regularly.  Several years ago, I blogged.  I blogged almost everyday and had several hundred readers.  Then I stopped.  I started this blog a few months ago and I'd like to blog more regularly about my life, the things I care about, and of course, randomness.  I also plan to comment on the blogs I read more often.  I usually read using Google Reader and don't click over to the "real" blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment