Pages

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Nothing Less than a 5K

Thanks so much for the kind comments and emails about my post yesterday!  The blogging community is great!

I've written before about running, but I don't know if I've ever really said how much I love to run.  There's just something about getting in a good workout that makes me feel great!  It's sometimes hard to fit in a workout each day as I'm sure you all know, but I think it's so important to try to break a sweat every day or at least five days per week.

Last week, I decided I'm going to start doing "Nothing Less than a 5K" five days per week.  I started this "campaign" last Wednesday, and so far, I've run nothing less than 3.1 miles on four days.  I've gotten back to running more regularly this month (in fact, I've run more days in May than I've taken off!), but not a consistent amount.  I'll run 4.5-5 miles one day and 1.5 the next, so I decided it's time to start a new "program."  Plus, I'd like to do the Rock N Roll Half Marathon in Savannah in November and there's no time like the present to start training.

Each week, I try to look at my schedule to see when I know I can't run and work around it.  Take last week and this week for example.  I knew that last weekend I would be going to Charleston to visit PC (an update on him is coming tomorrow - please continue praying!), so I wouldn't be running Friday and Saturday.  This week, I know I have two nights with events for work plus a meeting with my childhood best friend who's getting married in a few weeks tomorrow night to go over music for her wedding (I'm singing) and then a graduation to go to Friday night.

Last week's running schedule worked out nicely and I took Friday and Saturday off.

My running/workout plan for this week is (I'm lumping Sunday into this week):
Sunday - 3.1
Monday - 3.1
Tuesday - workout at the gym during lunch; off day
Wednesday - run
Thursday - gym workout, run
Friday - try to fit in a run before graduation
Saturday - run

One thing I really need to work on is going to the gym.  Even though I'm active and running most days, I haven't been to the gym in about a month for strength training.  I try to go twice a week on average to do an upper body workout and abs, but the past month with everything that's gone on plus being absolutely tired and drained, I've opted to go home after work for an outdoors run and skip the gym.  I'm trying to change that this week.  With two out of town evening events for work, I'm going to try to get to the gym at some point during the day on those days.  I can do a quick 30 minute workout which is really all I normally do when strength training, take a shower, and head back to work pretty easily.

So, tell me, how do you fit workouts in during the week especially when you're busy?

1 comment:

  1. Good for you with your running! I am getting back into the swing of things with my routine as well. If I have a busy day or I know I might not have time for a workout....I usually just squeeze it in where I can...meaning some days I have SUPER early mornings! :)

    ReplyDelete